Minimalism, Simplicity and Goals

I’ve recently become very interested in minimalism. So into it that I’ve already made several trips to the Salvation Army with bags full of items ranging from toys, books, household items, and clothing. It feels good. I started by watching videos on youtube but I found that books have been better in truly educating me on minimalism and what the style of living really offers.

One book that I’ve recently finished is The Simple Living Handbook by Lorilee Lippincott. The book is short and simple. More so, Lippincott makes several valid points about the cycle of consumption culture, defining who we are outside of our material possessions, and finding contentment in simplicity. The author encourages her readers to seek purpose being lead by God. And while Lippincott professed her religious beliefs, she does not really make detailed mention of religiosity until the last section of the book.

One thing that resonated with me was that I have to be responsible for my transition and my transition alone. I can not force my journey onto my husband or wholly onto my son. I want to say that while my son is only a toddler, he doesn’t have a whole lot of say in the matter, but I take into account that his toys, no matter how chaotic they can be, are his and anything that is not broken or damaged shall remain. I also found comfort that she had a family or 4 just as I. I’ve found that a lot of minimalist videos I’d been watching didn’t include many people with families. I have yet to find anyone who is married or partnered living a one-sided minimalist lifestyle.

There have been struggles and setbacks but i’m finding that this is a journey just like other things in life. I must take it one step at a time. I’ve already begun to see the benefits of having less, the laundry isn’t as daunting as it was a few months ago. Washing and folding a mountain of sheets and towels is terrible for the energy bill. I am more mindful of what I purchase and more settled on separating my needs from my wants.

Some big changes I would like to tackle, include minimizing our important documents. Paper can takeover your life with no apology. Mortgage papers, bills past and present, bank statements etc. can be to ruin. A proper hard-copy filing system and switching as much to e-filing as possible is something I would like for the future. And when it comes to mail, I pray God would have mercy. Mail is of the devil, credit card solicitations, advertisements- all of it junk; makes me wish I could toss it all into the fires of hell.

My other goal is to get rid of all unnecessary baby items. I’ll have to wait to act on this particular goal. My baby is due December and God saw fit to bless me with another son. I’m grateful that all my saved baby items can be used again without having to buy too much. I look forward to the day I can take my first big bag of used baby goods to the local charity.

Lastly, I can’t wait to praise The Lord when our futon is gone. It is ugly and grossly uncomfortable.

Comments

Popular Posts