Talking About My Hair (with pictures)

Side view of new locs
I don’t know what to do with myself. I finished the book I checked out from the library and I’m not motivated to do any housework today. I’m tired of being tired and having nothing to do. I had a youtube channel that focused on my loc journey but to be honest, that hasn’t gone well, as I do not have locs and only 2-strand twisted my hair this past Sunday. I’m frustrated with my hair. I love being natural but my hair is thick and curly and too much to handle on a daily basis. I’ve had locs before and while I want something different, it is the best and healthiest option for my hair. I’m just impatient about waiting for it to loc and I’m especially bummed about having to wait for length. I cut my hair 9 months ago; I went from armpit length to less than an inch. It’s grown significantly but it’s still short. My hubby isn’t fond of short hair...what Black man is? I promised hubby that I would not cut my hair again but now I’m in a short hair phase and it is very challenging.

Top View of my locs 
A wig, extensions or a weave are not an option. I’m not a hater but those things just aren’t for me. I’ve never been a fan of a wig, not only that long or short, my hair is too thick to lay under a wig. Extensions are from my past; my elementary/ junior high days were all about braids but not anymore. It’s no longer 1996 for me. I get that extensions never really go out of style, I just don’t want to relive the days of sitting for hours and hours getting my hair done- I’ve never been that woman. To this day, the thought of going to a hair salon for any reason gives me anxiety. I can do my own hair in the comfort of my own home and save $60-$90.


A Real Closeup!
Side view with a peak of the back
Since I don’t have time to spend several hours at a salon, I definitely don’t have that time to spend doing my own hair. So what is the best option? Locs seem to be my best option for low maintenance and the healthiest hair. This means I have to be patient and really ready; in the past five months I have not been ready but I can be honest and say that I am now ready to take the journey...again. I’m not going to do videos at least not right now. But, I have added a strand of hemp string to my hair to remind me of the journey ahead. As the purple hemp string grows out I will be reminded of my commitment and I can see just how much my hair has grown as the sting gets further from the root. My locs are just 2-strand twists for now but from here on they will transition to matted strands of hair.

Comments

Popular Posts