Self-Care Update

I wrote a post a few months back about self-care how I needed to care for myself emotionally, spiritually and physically. I can say that I have been doing much better in all these areas. When I wrote about self-care previously, I was writing from a place of realization and need. I realized that I needed to lookout for my own care and well-being and I needed to be the one to take action.

Self-care is not complicated or really all that time consuming. One just has to take the time to take care.That means washing my makeup off before I go to bed and eating healthy. I make time to polish my toenails and moisturize my skin. It’s about doing what makes me feel good; taking time for myself so that I’m not run down and raggedy from taking care of everyone else. Of course it is much more than my outward appearance but let’s be honest, no one want to look like the shit.

I’ve been working on being emotionally well also. I mentioned that after my son was born that I lost my identity. I’ve gained a new sense of self and a new power. I am learning that I can be whomever I want to be in my marriage and in my motherhood. Even though my life has changed drastically in the last two years I am coping with change and allowing myself room to grow and adjust to new outcomes.

I’ve been making a point to read more and take more time for self-enrichment. I still watch way too much television but I am happy to report I am watching less television because I am slowly but surely making reading a priority. I actually just finished a book today that I will write a blog review on soon.

The last piece of the self-care journey is movement. I have not been exercising like I really want but I have been doing movement and stretching. What is movement? Movement and my version of getting my body warmed and ready for the day, I put on some music (Play video below) and I move. It isn’t necessarily a dance it’s just me doing whatever I feel in the moment. it’s sensual movement it’s something similar to “getting the wiggles out”; it sounds silly but it has helped me to be more body-aware. I consider how I feel in my body as I move; I start slow and pick up the pace as feel. I’ve learned that stretching is important and I even set a goal for myself- to do a split by the end of September. Achieving this goal means stretching everyday, I watch a video sometimes. I am hopeful I can do it. [I've added a stretch video from my playlist]

Comments

Popular Posts