Plant Power : Vegetarian and Vegan Cooking + Book Review

I’ve been spending a lot of time trying to transform mine and my husbands diet / lifestyle. More on the lifestyle side for me and the diet side for my husband. I’ve been plant based for several years now, but I sometimes find myself wavering back-and-forth between omnivore and vegetarian. Most recently, in the latter months of pregnancy I began eating meat again due to extremely low iron levels. I wasn’t eating much of anything and when I did eat it was mostly snacks and sweets. I consumed more ice cream than ever! It took me about 10 months to reposition myself back into a plant based, whole foods lifestyle. I’m not vegan but I do try to make as many of my meals dairy and egg free as possible.

After my son was born I thought a good middle ground would be to be a pescatarian (consumes only fish) but I had a bad run in with a stomach bug. The onset of diarrhea and vomiting after a seafood feast will put anyone off fish for a long time. I’ve been avoiding seafood. I do occasionally opt for a tuna sandwich but even that is rare. Vegetables and fruits are definitely for me.

I’ve picked up a vegan cookbook from the library and I’m absolutely in love with the recipes. Plant Power by Nava Atlas. I made several meals and I have some new ideas up my sleeve. I’m a salad girl. Give me some greens and I’m happy. But, it's always nice to have something different.

Lentil SLoppy Joes
Quinoa Paella
Kale and Grits (polenta)
Tofu and Vegetable Stir Fry with Asian Peanut Sauce
Raw Brownies

What I love about Nava’s recipes is that all you need and pantry essentials and everyday herbs and spices. Not once did I have to go on the hunt for some expensive and exotic ingredient. The recipes really are for the at home family cook. You can visit Vegkitchen.com for vegetarian and vegan recipes.
 

Comments

Popular Posts