THE MOST WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEAR



The Holidays are fast approaching with Thanksgiving just 2 weeks away. One of the things I am really looking forward to is participating in charity opportunities through my church.

I am truly blessed and it is a great honor to share my blessings with others. One of the opportunities I am particularly fond of us Operation Christmas Child. It’s a simple idea that makes an impact in nearly every corner of the globe. All you do is fill a shoe box with basic items such as; toothbrush/paste, socks, lip balm and hard candy, etc and a child will receive the box of items along with the message of Christ. Doing this really fills my heart with joy. I don’t know the child; they are in another country, but the simple fact of knowing that a little time, thoughtfulness and earnest prayers will touch a child’s life that is so rewarding.

Another charitable opportunity that I look forward to is Angel Tree. Angel Tree is a prison fellowship that reaches out to families of inmates. There are several branches of this ministry that deliver the gospel to inmates and their families across the country. There are programs that provide toiletries and personal hygiene items to inmates but Angel tree caters to the children of the incarcerated through gift giving. During the Holiday season, there is an opportunity to provide a gift to a child on behalf of their incarcerated parent. I like this because another child can be blessed. Also, Angel tree has fewer restrictions than Operation Christmas Child simply because the gifts go to someone local as opposed to another country where shoe boxes have to go through international customs. I can give someone nail polish or chocolate if they request; I cannot send such items through customs.

I may have said in a previous post but I’ll say once more…
I absolutely love grocery shopping. I think this is some hereditary something I got from my Granny. She loves grocery shopping too. But, I get really excited when it comes to Thanksgiving Baskets…at no other time can I reasonably justify a purchase of, 10 boxes of mashed potatoes or 30 packets of jello! It feels good to provide other families with food for the holiday but to be honest; this is serious retail therapy for me. I absolutely love the grocery store. I’m not sure why or how come but something about walking the isles and taking full advantage to 10 for $10 gives me life. So when I hear the church announcement about food items being collected, I can hardly wait to get to the store.



Comments

Popular Posts