...The Shockingly High Cost of Cheap Fashion (book review)



Overdressed : The Shockingly High Cost of Cheap Fashion by Elizabeth L. Cline. I found this book on a random expedition to the library. I often take walks during my lunch break and I happened to go into the library this one particular day. Of course the title caught my attention; it had been a while since I’ve read something truly intriguing and to be honest, this book is truly intriguing.

Elizabeth Cline sifts through the clothes manufacturing process. This book is truly enlightening and it makes me think differently about the clothing I’ve been wearing and buying and what true quality really consists of. After reading this book, I know for sure that I have / had no clue what true quality clothing really is. Cline feeds her readers the “Fast Fashion” mantra that designers and manufacturers operate by want…make it cheap and they will buy it, a lot of it.

I almost felt a little insulted by the way the clothing industry of today operates. But as the consumer, I too am responsible for the rags that are on the shelves and in my closet. Maybe, if I’d been willing to pay for actual quality I would get…or would I? Cline’s premise is that because consumers want more for less, the quality of clothing has been on a steady decline. Instead, designers and manufacturers are more concerned with dishing out the quantity; making sure that consumers’ need for over consumption is being met.

There are so many points of discussion Cline reaches by speaking to manufacturers, designers, and everyone in between. She even gets a consumers point of view, from those who seem to be ignorant of the lack of quality and those who have caught on and have positioned themselves to buy strictly second-hand or to make their own clothing.

I guess for me, thrift / consignment shopping would be my first and best choice. Making your own clothes seems like a pretty good deal. However, I do not yet possess the skills or time to make my own clothes. I think I'll need much more than just a sewing machine and a handful of lessons from my mom. 

Comments

Popular Posts