Are You Marrying A White Woman?



My fiancĂ©, Matt* mentioned to me that while he was at work one night one of his coworkers asked him if I was White. He’s Black and I’m Black. My immediate response was laughter but I can kind of see why someone would think that way.

Matt is laid-back and reserved and the common and stereotypical belief about Black women is that they are loud and prone to lots of drama. And because of that common belief about Black women, his coworker assumed that a White woman would be more to his taste. I wasn’t offended. I’m not someone who gets offended easily so I wasn’t bothered. And I don’t want to go into a whole conversation about Black women but if you are a Black woman you know what stereotypes we face so I need not go into in this particular post. But, I thought it was interesting that someone he works with asked him out right if I’m White.



*name change

Comments

Popular Posts