A Little Wedding, A Little Trip and A Little Ignorance (pictures included)



I’m Back! May has been a busy month for me. I got married May 17 so just a few weeks ago my life has been hectic; so hectic that I haven’t been able to concentrate on reading. I’m a little behind on my goals but with good reason. A wedding is hard work; but we had a lot of help; my mom did most of the work and wrote most of checks.

My husband and I spent our honeymoon in the Dominican Republic. We stayed at Iberostar Bavaro Dominicana Resort. It was so beautiful and the beach was like a dream. We had an all inclusive stay so food and drink was all you could eat without extra cost; including the hotel restaurants. We had a great time; we went on a few excursions and got to speak with “locals”. Locals meaning people who work for the resort in partner or directly but not actual locals/towns people.

I don’t speak a lot of Spanish but I knew enough to at least close the language gap a little. I did notice that a lot of the resort staff consisted of mix of both Dominicans and { Haitians- most of whom spoke English very well and very clearly}.



I only have on complaint from my trip, there where no pupusas. I guess it was ignorant to think that because I was in a Spanish speaking country that they would have a food that is not even native to the country. Pupusas are a traditional Salvadorian food. I got excited because one of my coworkers told me they had them in Mexico when he went....uh, yeah. I was wrong for thinking that Dominicans would make some for me.

Pupusa (usually served with cabbage)



 While I did not get a the pupusa of  my dreams, I did have an opportunity to eat some really awesome Mexican food at the hotel restaurant. And I brought back 3 bottles of a Dominican herbal drink known as MamaJuana (roots,herbs, rum, whine, honey). It is strong, and is said to promote, good, health, good sex, and babies. I gave a bottle to my brother and his wife. My hubby and I have 2 bottles and 2 bags of the roots and herbs to make our own. Yes, you can bring it through customs with no problem! I also brought back sugar cane syrup, cinnamon and vanilla.

MamaJuana




Displaying CAM00164.jpg
Hubby
Displaying CAM00178.jpg
Me under a banana tree at the resort

Displaying CAM00153.jpg
Me and hubby on the plane
Displaying CAM00159.jpg
400 Dominican Pesos is roughly $9 USD

Displaying CAM00162.jpg
Mil Pesos = $23 USD
Displaying CAM00157.jpg
Flying in the heavens is simply amazing
Displaying CAM00190.jpg
Mamajuana + herbs, cinnamon, vanilla (light and dark), sugar cane syrup

Comments

Popular Posts