Lent : March 5 - April 17



Every year I look forward to celebrating Lent- the period preceding Easter that in the Christian Church is devoted to fasting, abstinence, and penitence in commemoration of Christ's fasting in the wilderness. In the Western Church it runs from Ash Wednesday to Holy Saturday and so includes forty weekdays.

My church congregation does not formally celebrate Lent. Actually, I’ve never attended a church that formally/collectively participates. In fact, I’ve just recently come to understand the significance and in the past few years I’ve acknowledge the time of fasting and praying on my own. Also, my grandmother attends a church that participates in Lent so I can go and be encouraged with a collective group.

In the past, I was told that Lent is something that Catholics do…why only them? But the truth is that it is not exclusive to one Christian group. Believers are to fast and pray, to care for the poor - we are to do that throughout the year, but for me Lent is the extra incentive to act. Also, Lent, and Easter fall at the perfect time of year, SPRING. What better way to usher in a new season than with repentance, humility and love?

Most people forgo eating meat or give up some aspect of their life to focus more on God. Since I do not really eat meat anyway, it would not be a sacrifice for me to refrain. So instead, I am going to give up something else in my life ( a few things actually). I will take extra time to read scripture, pray and to quietly reflect on the life/death/resurrection of Christ.

Comments

Popular Posts