A Black Girl's Poetry for the World



A Black Girl’s Poetry for the World by Kimberly LaRocca. I found this poetry book on amazon for 99cent. The book contains poems on love, life, and trust.  

I have to be honest, I didn’t enjoy this. I decided on this book because I want to expand as a reader; but I find reading poetry boring and tedious.

True story, I met a poet in 2007 on Facebook; he invited me to one of his readings downtown on U Street. I’d never been to a poetry slam before and I enjoyed hearing the feelings and emotions behind the words and I even dabbled in writing my own poems. I thought I could rekindle the experience but reading a poem in my own translation is not the same. Only the writer really knows the meaning an emotion behind the words. And because I have not lived their experience I find it hard to make a connection.


Comments

Popular Posts