Cool Story Bro...

There is something about a reception desk that makes people open up. I've been at the front desk a year and five months and I've heard countless stories. For some reason, people feel comfortable enough to tell me all about there lives. And I don't mean small talk, like a chat about the weather or an ambiguous weekend but they are actually saying something interesting, carrying on a real conversation. They even ask for advice...simple of course but still - in search of a second opinion.

I've had people tell me about bad dates. In-law's coming to visit. And of course, they seek my advice on weather or not to wear a tie to a client meeting or what pair sunglasses look the best.

George came to me for info on synthpop and dubstep.  His cousin was coming to town to hear a DJ play at one of the local clubs. He didn't know anything about the music and his cousin was obviously expecting him to come along. I named a few artist he should listen to, so he would at least be a little bit familiar. Now he's always asking me what I'm listening to; it's something different every time.

Brandy, usually stops by and expresses her acute concern for the up and coming generation. She even wrote an informative and artistic book about it. She has a passion for teaching her generation a thing or two about life and responsibility. Her biggest concern is her younger sister who can't carry-on a conversation or look people in the eye; "she's lost and my parents baby her". "she can't go out into the world like that".

Acting with common sense and class is one of her big issues as well. She told me about a date she went on with a man a friend set her up with. They're at an Asian restaurant and everything seemed okay until he referred to the soy sauce as "black shit". According to her everything went downhill from there, especially after she told him about himself. I guarantee he didn't get a second date.

And then there is Ted; he's a fiery older man who hates conference calls and long drawn out meetings. He never fails to call people idiots and constantly expresses his disdain for the office. Aside from his abysmal outlook on work...he loves running and lifting weights and has lost a whole lot of weight.  He was bigger when he first said he was going to get in shape. He's excited bout being older and fit. I guess he thinks he has more sex appeal now. At least once a week he lists everything he's been eating the last couple of days and quickly follows up with an outline of his exercise routine. 

He has other things to say as well. Once he told me a friend of his in Boston shot and killed someone who was breaking into his house. He'd never shot anyone before, and when he found out it was a youth...I think he said the guy was 19 years old; he was never the same after that.  Ted was obviously concerned for his friend but he knew something like that really changed him.

He also told me that one of the priests at his Catholic school would buy him and his friends beer as payment for driving him to the park. He said he was old and he knew he was about to die..."he was a good man"..."not a pedophile".

I have so many other stories from so many interesting people. This post would be days long if I shared all the interesting and sometimes bizarre conversations I've had. 

One More...
A guy told me today his cousin works for a marketing firm in NY and he and his cousin were on their way to lunch. But before they headed out his cousin needed to make a stop and right in the lobby was Jay-Z filming a Samseung commercial. His cousin turned out to actually be apart of the product and introduced him. He called him Mr. Z.

Comments

Popular Posts