An Analysis of an English Major - Part 1


I love journaling; it’s the only way I can assess myself and all the different aspects of my life.  It’s away for me to record my blessings, plan my future and a way to really look at what’s going on in the present. I’m old school, so I actually have a book with blank pages that I write in, with ink.

My journaling is never scheduled. Sometimes I get an impulse to write and no matter where I am or what I maybe into, I have to satisfy that urge to write. Even if I don’t have my journal at a particular moment, any blank sheet will suffice. I never considered myself a writer but I’m trying to change that.

I graduated an English major, which surprisingly, a lot of people understand it to be a precursor for becoming a teacher. It’s laughable because, there is a totally separate learning course for those looking to become educators. Without fail, 99% of the people who inquire about my English degree ask me if I’m going to teach. Is that the only thing an English degree is good for? Certainly not, considering an English degree alone does not qualify me to become a teacher, like I said, there is an extensive path for some looking to educate. The only teaching I am qualified to do, according to my state, is substitute. Teachers today need certifications in various areas before they can fully step in and educate even the smallest of scholars. Anyway, the short answer is NO; I am not going to teach. Becoming a teacher is not on my list of accomplishments. And please know that I have great respect for educators on all levels but I also know that it is not a task for any and every body. 

I do like blogging, I don’t love it but I use it as a means of keeping track of things. For instance, I log the books I’ve read this year into individual blog posts so that I know how many books I’ve read in a year; maybe even a lifetime! But journaling is really expressing my true self. I’m trying to transfer that self online, but it’s really not as easy as it seems. I have no trouble being my honest self on paper but I’m hesitant being that way through the internet. I don’t have a concern for whether or not people like me; it’s more so of wanting to protect myself – my private thoughts and feelings.

I’ve also tried blogging as a medium to express my creativity. I must say that when it comes to writing, my creativity can use a little work. My obligation I took two creative writing courses; and I found both of those courses, less than inspiring. I can hardly believe that creativity takes so much structure and guidance. Can I really be creative while also being structured? Maybe it’s to make the class challenging; if that’s the case academia has succeeded.  

So now we know that teaching and creative writing are not my things. I should mention that I never proofed any of my papers. I simply typed them and turned it in. Yes, this held back my grades (there is another story about why I do this that I will tell at another time). However, I am totally going to make creative writing something I venture into anyway, because I’m thinking of writing a children’s book; one of those short ones’ that is mostly pictures. I’m already thinking of my story and obviously I will not mention it here.

Please come back for Part 2 of this analysis!!

Comments

Popular Posts