Why I Choose Continuing Education over Grad School


I’ve been thinking of going back to school but grad school is out of the question. I simply refuse to do the work required to get a Masters. I don’t want to work on massive projects or write 1000 paged papers on topics I could care less about. But I still want to learn and update my skills. That’s why I’m enrolling in a continuing education certificate program for creative writing. I’ve graduated with a B.A. in English and a few of the required courses were on creative writing; I found these, next to Shakespeare, to be the more challenging courses. Poetry sucked major ka-ka!! I don’t think I ever submitted a poem that followed proper format or one that even made any sense.

The courses that I will be enrolling in will focus on fiction writing, editing, and e-publishing. I have fresh eyes and a different mind-set now; I’m ready to learn about this style of writing. The courses are 12 weeks long, so expect to get the same information and challenging assignments as any credit course. They are online; I work full time, so this is the best option.

Before I decided on creative writing, I considered getting an Associate in pre-law. I’ve considered law school as well, but I’m not looking to work in the legal sector, and again, I’m not willing, right now, to do the work required. I’d be happy with a pre-law degree; I took a 101 business law class a few years ago and really enjoyed it. And I’m not going to lie, I can back transfer a lot of my University credits and only have to take a few semesters worth of classes to get an Associate degree. We’ll see, what comes about in the future. Right now, I’m looking forward to writing creatively and using my skills in a way that is beneficial for me. Who knows, maybe I’ll be an award winning novelist.

Comments

Popular Posts