THE GREAT GATSBY


I had wanted to The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald for some time now. I caved in and purchased it on my Kindle. I was excited and at the same time cautious. I’ve read “classic literature” before and have been bored to my wits end. I was not!

I’m not going to lie. I picked up this book with the false knowledge of a man building a time machine to rescue his long lost love from a contemptuous marriage. Disappointed but pleasantly surprised that was not the case. Instead a man The Great Jay Gatsby- a millionaire by less than honest gains is adventurous, refined and everything you would expect from an Oxford man. The great surprise in this American tale is that he was made up. Yes, Jay Gatsby was real; he did indeed live in this tale but he lives within his own fantasy with the hope of his true? love returning to him. It was sad in a way also, as a great man you would expect him to be revered and honored…not so. I won’t give anymore away about the story.

I enjoyed the witty moments of dialogue and the language, in some points, was whimsical and poetic. I only wish the characters had been developed more. I enjoyed the characters as they were but a little more history and premise would have made the novel more full-bodied and satisfying in the end. If you’ve never read or heard or seen the story before you will be surprised by the ending. I can assure you, you won’t see it coming.

Comments

Popular Posts