The Kid Comes Back


Without giving too much away...

The Kid Comes Back, written by John R. Tunis, is about a young man who is a professional baseball player and also a World War II Veteran. His exact age is not given but I assume he is in his early to mid twenties. While serving in France, he suffers an injury; and upon his return to the US, the book chronicles his effort to re-familiarize himself with civilian life and his physical struggle back into baseball. Although we are not given too much detail about his life before the war, it is clear that it has changed more than his physical being.  

I was cautious with this novel because it is the first sports genre book I’ve ever read. I am not familiar with the game of baseball and I was concerned about being overwhelmed with the logistics of the game. Surprisingly, it was just the opposite. This book has been a pleasant surprise from the beginning. I think it is especially perfect for boys ages 10+. The story was simple but not lackluster; it’s the perfect light-read.




This is my first book  34 to go!. I am off to the next! Laughable Loves by Milan Kundera.

Comments

Popular Posts